This roasted cauliflower mac and cheese is a healthier alternative to one of our favourite comfort foods. You’ll love this gluten-free meal packed with flavourful vegetables!
How was your weekend? We had a busy one celebrating my husband’s birthday, a baptism and, of course, Superbowl. Needless to say, we had our fair share of eating!
As mentioned earlier, we’re working on making better food choices this year. But, every once in a while, we have cravings for good old comfort food, like mac and cheese (especially when we get a dump of snow and it turns cold like on Saturday). What’s a girl to do?
Healthier Mac and Cheese
I thought, why not make this decadent dish a little healthier by using brown rice pasta and adding a good portion of roasted cauliflower. Wowza.
This roasted cauliflower mac and cheese is so much better than any other version I’ve ever made before!
Honestly, our favourite part of this dish is the cauliflower. We love the caramelized bits of heaven topped with cheese. You can’t beat that, right?!
And, the whole thing tastes even better as leftovers when the flavours really come together.
I think it’s safe to say your kids will eat it too (although our son ate any vegetable under the sun growing up, so I’m a bit naive at times). You may want to try it without the garlic to start with. I’d love to know how it goes over with your family, so drop a comment below.
Roasted Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- 1 medium head of cauliflower about 5 cups broken into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 250 grams uncooked brown rice macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons brown rice flour
- 1 cup milk whole or partly skimmed
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 3-4 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place washed and dried cauliflower on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with a bit of sea salt and pepper. Roast in oven for 30-45 minutes (turning halfway through) until cauliflower is tender and pieces start turning brown and carmelizing.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, prepare the pasta according to the directions (we like ours on the “al dente” side). Drain, reserving a bit of the liquid, and transfer the pasta and liquid to a bowl. Set aside.
- In the same pot, over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons butter, plus the onions. Cook until onions are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and remaining butter. Whisk in the brown rice flour and cook for a minute. Slowly add the milk and mustard, whisking continuously. Turn down the heat to medium-low and let simmer until it starts to thicken a bit (about 2 minutes), stirring often.
- Add half the cheddar and stir until it comes together. Turn off heat and carefully mix in the pasta and cauliflower. Season with salt and pepper to taste (remember the cheese will add salt, so go easy).
- Transfer to a skillet or casserole dish and top with remaining cheese. Bake for 8-10 minutes at 375°F and broil at the end to brown the cheese to your liking.
- Top with basil and serve.
More Skillet Recipes
Looking for something on the sweeter side? These desserts baked in skillets are delicious too!
Looking for others? Be sure to check out this collection of cast iron skillet recipes!
Want more delicious recipes and ideas like these sent directly to your inbox? Be sure to SUBSCRIBE.
Have a delicious day!