Not sure where to shop for home decor in Canada? I’ve rounded up some of the best sources for Canadian shoppers, both in-store and online.
Hello there! If you follow along on Facebook, you may have seen the call out for reader questions a few weeks ago. To those of you who emailed me, thank you! I really do enjoy seeing what you’re up to. Unfortunately, I can’t get to each and every one of those questions today. No need to fret! The design and decorating (and other) dilemmas you’re currently facing help me plan future blog posts, as well as social media content. I encourage you to continue following along.
Today, I’m sharing something I get asked over and over again…
Where Do You Shop for Home Decor in Canada?
“Hi Shauna, First off, thanks for taking my question! I’ve been a follower of your blog for quite some time and noticed you’re Canadian as well. We recently installed new hardwood floors in our living room and painted it a soft grey colour. We also purchased the Lure sofa with chaise from Urban Barn. Now we’re stuck trying to find an area rug, artwork and other pieces to finish off the space. It seems like everything we like for the space ships from the US. With duty and exchange, it’s not really worth it. Where do you shop for home decor?” Thank you so much, Madeline
Thanks for reaching out, Madeline. To start with, congrats on finishing up the main parts of your living room makeover. I know how much work it can be!
As you may know, I’m in the process of decorating our living room and have experienced some of the same frustrations finding the perfect decor pieces at a good price. However, I have to say the selection and variety of quality home decor sources across Canada have increased substantially over the past few years, making the whole process so much better.
My best advice is to come up with a decorating plan for your space first and foremost:
- Start by creating a mood board or Pinterest board to get a sense of your style. If you check out the board I created for our living room on Pinterest, you’ll most likely notice my love of light and airy walls with pops of blue. So far I’m on the right track as far as decorating goes.
- Next, put together a handy list of the decor items you’re looking for with all of the measurements. I keep a copy on my phone so I always know what I’m on the hunt for. Sometimes my brain freezes when I get inside a home decor store!
- Decide on a budget beforehand so you know when you can afford to splurge on an item and when you need to save on another.
- Finally, don’t be in a rush. Some of the best decorated spaces are those that evolve over time.
With that being said, here are some of the places I shop for home decor in Canada.
Sources for Home Decor in Canada
Some links used in this post are affiliates. Please refer to my disclosure policy for more information.
Online Shopping for Home Decor
Some of the best deals on area rugs, coffee table books, kitchen decor, lighting, wallpaper and more can be found on Amazon Canada.
Tips for Shopping Home Decor Websites:
- Read customer reviews on products
- Check shipping rates
- Become familiar with the return policy
- Search for a discount code
- Compare prices from one source to another
- Use Rakuten to earn back cash on purchases (To date, I have earned over $1000 and counting!)
- View on different screens or browsers to pick up on colour variations
Home Decor Stores
Note: Many of these stores also offer online shopping.
My go-to store for brand name decor at an affordable price. For anything seasonal, it’s usually my first stop. Check out how I decorated our staircase using rope mirrors from HomeSense.
One of the best shops for decorative pillows and throws. I also love their bedding collections (when they go on sale). Pottery Barn offers shipping to Canada, but additional charges often apply. See the patterned pillow I picked up for my GALentine’s Day tea party.
Although Anthropologie locations are limited throughout Canada, I wanted to include it as a good stop for unique kitchen and dining decor. You’ll usually find me at the sale table looking for discount dishes!
A great source for quality bedding and kitchen linens in a variety of styles. I personally love their Le Germain Hotels collection (so comfy) and gorgeous throws.
A definite stop for all things bedding and bath, especially if you hit their one-day sales. I simply adore their Hudson’s Bay Company collection featuring their iconic blanket (I’m currently coveting).
One of my favourite sources for seasonal pillow covers, kitchen decor, vases and frames. Check out some of the items I picked up for our kitchen from Indigo.
A Canadian company known for modern and contemporary home decor that’s both practical and fun. One of my best sources for ready-made curtain panels and window hardware.
Suggested by a friend, this shop carries all sorts of unique pieces I haven’t spotted elsewhere. Some of my favourites are the light pendants and wall planters.
Tips for Shopping at Home Decor Stores:
- Purchase items and try them in the space before making a decision
- Sign up for store promotions
- Get ideas from store displays
- Shop the discount bin
- Shop seasonal items early for best selection
- Take a tape measure with you
Second Hand or Vintage Home Decor
Want to know what some of my favourite home decor items are to collect at thrift shops? Go HERE!
Tips for Buying Secondhand Decor:
- If you see something you like, grab it. You can always put it back if you change your mind!
- Use your smart phone to look up the value of items you’re unsure about
- Always clean items thoroughly before using in your home
- Check back often for best results
Local Home Decor Shops and Markets
One of the best places to find unique home decor is at boutique shops in and around your neighbourhood, so take a drive! As well, don’t overlook local markets and other events where there may be home decor pop up shops.
There you have it! Although I could add more to this list, I’ve included the home decor sources I tend to use over and over again without fail.
Here are some of my current home decor favourites:
I’d love to know what some of your favourites shops are, so be sure to leave me a comment!
If you have a decor, design or even a blogging question you could really use help with, follow the Satori Facebook Page to find out when the next open call for questions is or shoot me an email!
Looking for specific home decor and furniture used in our home? I put together this source and DIY project list for your convenience.
One other thing before you head off… If you’re looking for more useful and pretty ideas in your life, make sure you’re on the email list! You can subscribe here.