This honey strawberry basil smash is the perfect poolside drink to enjoy this summer. So refreshing, delicious, light and pretty. An easy strawberry cocktail to make!
Every summer growing up, I lived in the pool. After finishing our chores on the farm, my siblings and I (mostly my sister) would make our way by bicycles down the road to our neighbour’s pool. It was pure joy. And, if that wasn’t enough, we’d make it home just in time to head into town for competitive swimming practice. It was our summer routine for years and years until I later became a lifeguard and assistant coach for the swim team.
Nowadays, poolside means something different. Although I still enjoy swimming, I love the relaxing vibe that goes along with it even more. You know, laying back in a lounger with a good book listening to the sounds of splashing in the background. Summer is the time of year when I truly give myself permission to take a breather and chill out. I’m so looking forward to it this time around! You?
Of course, enjoying a refreshing and delicious drink while soaking up the sunshine is a must. I’m loving this strawberry smash cocktail with basil. I mean, what could be better than a fresh fruit cocktail to cool you down on a hot summer day? Read on to get the recipes for even more poolside drink ideas…
This cocktail is on the light side, but big on flavour. Of course, you can’t go wrong with strawberry cocktails with vodka. And, with the addition of fresh basil, it’s delicious!
If you’re fortunate enough to be growing your own, even better. My basil plants are in overdrive right now. (I will probably need to make pesto soon!)
This Strawberry Basil Cocktail is Easy to Make!
- fresh basil
- honey simple syrup*
- lemon juice
- sparkling water
- ice cubes
The full list of ingredient measurements and instructions are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Muddle strawberries and basil together, then transfer to a pretty glass.
- Add honey simple syrup (more or less depending on the sweetness of the strawberries), lemon juice, vodka and ice.
- Top with sparkling water, followed by sliced strawberries and more basil as your garnish. That’s it!
So pretty, right?! I love that it doubles as a bit of snack too.
Strawberry Smash Cocktail Recipe Tips
- Adjust honey simple syrup to taste depending on sweetness of the strawberries.
- No vodka? Substitute gin for an equally tasty cocktail.
- For a small group, I suggest whipping up a cocktail jug. I’ve quadrupled this recipe in a pitcher as a welcome drink for friends. It’s a total life saver when you’re busy prepping other dishes but want to keep your guests hydrated and happy.
- It’s also a refreshing and healthy drink for kids. Leave out the vodka, of course. For a sweeter version, add sparkling lemonade or Sprite instead of the sparkling water.
Honey Strawberry Basil Smash
- 3 fresh strawberries (medium-sized) washed and hulled, plus more for garnish
- 3 basil leaves (large) plus more for garnish
- 1-2 ounces honey simple syrup *see below
- ½ ounce lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1 ounce vodka
- ½ cup ice lightly crushed
- sparkling water
- In a sturdy glass or jar, add strawberries and basil leaves. With a muddler or wooden spoon, work to combine flavours (until the strawberries and basil leaves start to break down). Transfer to a pretty glass.
- Top with honey simple syrup and lemon juice. Add in vodka, followed by ice.
- Top with sparkling water and garnish with a basil leaf and a few sliced strawberries.
*Honey Simple Syrup
- Combine equal parts honey and water (say 1/2 cup honey and 1/2 cup water) in a saucepan. Stir over medium heat until the honey dissolves. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely before using. Store in an airtight container or jar in the fridge. Works great for sweetening iced tea and other summer drinks too!
Be sure to pin this strawberry drink to your recipe and entertaining boards!
More Poolside Drinks
I’m joining 8 of my friends today in sharing some pink poolside drink recipes just in time for summer fun! Which one are you going to try first?
Finally, if you’re a strawberry lover like I am, you may want to check out my collection of Fresh Strawberry Recipes!
Want more delicious recipes and ideas like these sent directly to your inbox? Be sure to SUBSCRIBE.
Cheers to summer!