Make this hearty and healthy chai brown rice pudding with notes of ginger, cardamom, nutmeg and cinnamon, along with coconut milk. A creamy, wholesome and delicious dessert!
With the colder weather upon us, I’m definitely craving hearty dishes like brown rice pudding. Is it one of your favourite desserts too?
Years ago, I heard about a restaurant in New York city that only serves rice pudding. Say what?! It’s definitely on my list of places to visit when I finally make it there. Hopefully I have an easier time making a selection than I did at Butter Baked Goods in Vancouver. I mean, how can one choose between cupcakes, nanaimo bars and whoopie pies?! It’s almost impossible.
Good thing my husband was able to make a decision on behalf of both of us. If not, I’d probably still be in line!
Chai Rice Pudding
If you’ve only ever eaten traditional white rice pudding, you’re in for a real treat. This one’s a bit different with notes of chai spiced tea and coconut milk. I love that it’s so creamy and delicious without being as high in calories, sugar or fat as typical rice pudding recipes.
And, if you’re looking for something to fill you up, it most certainly rises to the challenge. Of course, my coconut quinoa pudding will do that too. Both can be made-ahead and stored in the fridge.
Chai Rice Pudding Ingredients
- milk (or milk alternative) and coconut milk
- chai tea bags
- brown jasmine rice
- ground nutmeg, cardamom and cinnamon
- cinnamon stick
- toasted pistachios
The full list of ingredient measurements and instructions are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
This stovetop rice pudding recipe is a healthier version than you’d typically find, since it’s made with brown jasmine rice and sweetened with a bit of honey instead of refined sugar. Of course, the cinnamon has all kinds of goodness too (as you probably already know). I could go on and on…
So, go ahead and have a bowl or two. It also makes a great breakfast or snack.
More Rice Pudding Toppings
- fresh fruit, such as sliced peaches or apples
- half and half, whipped cream or ice cream
- raisins, dried cranberries or other dried fruit
- hemp hearts or chia seeds
How Long Does Rice Pudding Last?
This rice pudding recipe will last for 3-4 days covered and stored in an airtight container the fridge.
How to Reheat Rice Pudding
To reheat, you can use the microwave or stovetop on medium-low. Stir and add a touch of milk if pudding is too dry. Add the toppings after.
Chai Spiced Brown Rice Pudding
- ¾ cup water
- ¾ cup 2% milk or milk alternative
- 3 chai tea bags
- dash of salt
- 1½ cups brown jasmine rice rinsed
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 100 ml can coconut milk
- toasted pistachios and ground cinnamon for garnish
- Add water and milk to a pot over medium-low heat. Warm for 2-3 minutes, then add chai tea bags and steep for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove tea bags (squeeze out excess liquid into the pot) and stir in salt and rice. Turn up heat to medium and bring to a low boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally (adjust heat as necessary to prevent bottom from burning).
- Add honey, nutmeg, cardamom, cinnamon stick and coconut milk. Turn up heat to medium and stir until well combined and mixture just comes to a boil. Turn down heat to low, cover and let simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add a bit more milk if it's looking dry.
- Turn off heat and allow pudding to sit covered for 20-30 minutes.
- Before serving, remove cinnamon stick and stir to combine. Garnish with toasted pistachios for a bit of crunch and a sprinkle of ground cinnamon. We like ours with a bit of half and half or coconut milk on top too.
- Depending on the brown rice you use, it may require more milk. Adjust spices and honey to taste.
- Store in airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- To reheat, you can use the microwave or stovetop on medium-low. Stir and add a touch of milk if pudding is too dry.
What’s the craziest rice pudding you’ve ever tried? Do you like it simple or are you intrigued by different flavours like I am?
Want more delicious recipes and ideas like these sent directly to your inbox? Be sure to SUBSCRIBE.
Enjoy your day!
This coconut brown rice pudding recipe was originally published March 2015 and updated with new photos and details November 2021.