Not sure what to do with leftover buttons? Make these button gift embellishments with expandable ribbon. So easy and fun!
This week I chose BUTTONS as the craft supply we all had to work with, since most of us already have some on hand and they’re relatively inexpensive. To me, there’s something beautiful about buttons, no matter how intricate or simple they are.
After going through my rather large supply of buttons, I immediately knew what I was going to do. As some of you already know, one of my favourite things to do during the holiday season is wrap presents.
Throughout the year, I’m always on the hunt for unique paper, bags, boxes, tags and other wrapping supplies, as well as creative ways to use them. I see beauty in the details, and my heart always sings when I’m inspired by a simple and inexpensive idea for embellishing gifts.
How to Make Button Gift Embellishments
- kit for covering buttons
- assortment of printed and/or solid fabrics
- elasticized ribbon or cording (I used both)
I had all of these supplies on hand, except the ribbon. I found mine at Michaels. Just look for “elasticized” printed on the clear film that covers the spool of ribbon.
- Start by covering the buttons in a fabric that complements your wrapping paper by following the kit instructions.
- Next, feed a length of elasticized ribbon or cording through the button back and tie a knot at the end or stitch together (right sides together).
- Finally, wrap the elastic around the package and loop over the top of the button to secure. Et Voila, you have your very own gift embellishments!
I like that these gift embellishments can be used time and time again.
They’re also the perfect way to dress up a small package for the home decor admirer, sewing enthusiast or fashionista.
Have a container full of buttons? See how I used mine to make Christmas gift tags!
One other thing before you head off… If you’re looking for more useful and pretty ideas in your life, make sure you’re on the email list! You can subscribe here.
Enjoy your day!