As some of you may remember, way back in May and June, I was part of the Outdoor Extravaganza. I had so much fun collaborating with a few of my blogger friends during the series that I decided to create something similar this fall, but with a new twist.
For the One Item Project Challenge, each blogger was given a specific craft supply to work with per week and had to create or decorate something with it. To kick off this 3-week series, we started with FABRIC PAINT.
I have been wanting to try Martha Stewart’s fabric paint medium for a while now. It can be mixed with an array of colours of acrylic paint to make it soft and adhere to fabric, even through a delicate wash cycle.
Although I’ve done a lot of fabric painting projects in my textile design classes at university, I never got to try my hand at screen printing. Martha Stewart makes a good selection of pre-made silkscreens, and I thought it would be fun to try them out and make some printed tea towels.
DIY Printed Tea Towels
Some affiliate links are included for items I used for this project. Check out my blog policies here.
Instead of purchasing tea towels, I decided to make my own since I had a cotton/linen remnant left over from a drapery project. Whether you’re using pre-made towels or creating your own, be sure to pre-wash the fabric and iron smooth before you start the printing process.
To construct the tea towel, I cut two sizes measuring 20″ x 28″. Next, I pressed the raw edge ¼” in around all sides and turned it again exposing a 5/8” hem that I pinned and stitched in place.
For the design, I selected a collection of Martha Stewart snowflake silkscreens, as well as a light blue-green paint (cloud) and a dark grey color (arrowhead).
To begin with, I centered a large snowflake on the bottom of one tea towel about 4″ up. I affixed the adhesive screen and taped off the perimeter with painter’s tape to be safe.
Make sure you put the tape slightly under the silkscreen and not over because the screen is delicate and may tear when you take the tape off (I learned this the hard way).
Next, I mixed one part fabric medium to two parts paint and applied a generous amount on one side of the silkscreen. Using the squeegee, I pulled the paint across the silkscreen, making sure to cover the open pattern. I used the squeegee to take off any excess.
After pulling off the screen, I was left with a large grey snowflake and repeated the procedure with a smaller silkscreen and the cloud paint. Make sure you rinse the paint off each silkscreen immediately after using so the paint doesn’t set.
After applying two snowflakes to each tea towel, I decided to add one more in a robin’s egg colour I had in my craft stash. After allowing the paint to dry for 24 hours, I covered the snowflakes with a cotton cloth and set the colour with my iron on the wool setting for about 30 seconds on each section.
To protect the snowflakes, I plan on washing the towels on the delicate setting as needed. For me, they’ll be more decorative than utilitarian, so they should last.
This project was super easy and a lot of fun! I’m planning on using the fabric paint to create a pin board for my office and perhaps a decorative pillow or two.
Check out what the other participants created with fabric paint:
Christmas Pillow by Aimee at It’s Overflowing
Holiday Initial Tags by Lesley and Denise at Chaotically Creative
DIY Monogram Tote Bag by Pam at Simple Details
Holiday Activity Advent Calendar by Tiffany at Living Savvy
Be sure to come back next Wednesday to find out what the second craft supply was on our One Item Project Challenge list and see what we all did with it.
For another project idea using the snowflake silk screens, check out my Handprinted Glass Canisters.