Create this vintage key art with gold frame. An easy and inexpensive project using gold gilding and other simple craft supplies.
St. Patrick’s Day is just around the corner. Although we typically don’t do much to celebrate the Irish tradition, I thought it would be fun to join a group of other Canadian bloggers in creating something gold. For these projects, we used gold gilding, gold leaf, gold paint and more.
Of course, I went to my old stand by, liquid gilding, as it hasn’t let me down yet! (Take a look at my gold gilded bird art and fabric pin board to see a couple of the projects I’ve done using gold gilding.)
This vintage key art project is super easy and will definitely add a bit of sparkle to your space.
DIY Vintage Key Art
- Shadow box
- Vintage keys
- Liquid gold gilding
- Paint brush
- Painter’s tape
- Scrapbook paper or wallpaper
- Magnets and/or superglue
How to Make Vintage Key Art
- To begin, lightly sand your shadow box frame and tape off glass portion with painter’s tape.
- Apply a coat of gold liquid gilding to entire box (inside and out) except for the back (which will be covered with paper).
- Once it’s dry (overnight is best), cut the paper the same size as the back and hold in place with glue or magnets (depending on if your shadow box backing is magnetized or not).
- Finally, attach the vintage keys with magnets or superglue. That’s it!
For now, I have this antique key art sitting on a side table. Perhaps I’ll add it to a gallery wall I’m planning on installing soon.
More Gold Craft Ideas
Looking for St. Patrick’s Day craft ideas? Be sure to check out these projects using gold.
DIY Gold Polka Dot Mug & Irish Coffee Recipe from A Pretty Life in the Suburbs
“Mommy Loves Me” Heat-Transfer Onesie by It Happens In A Blink
Gold-Dipped Tear Drop Earrings by Happy Go Lucky
Gold Lettered Vintage Plates by The Sweet Escape
“Don’t Miss The Colours of the Rainbow” Printable by Clean and Scentsible
Golden Pencils by The DIY Dreamer
Gold Speckled Eggs by Craftberry Bush
Kate Spade-inspired Coasters by Suburble
Gold-and-Black Layered Bracelet by Happy Hour Projects
Vintage Key Art by Satori Design for Living
Gold Bowties by Fynes Designs
Want more holiday and seasonal ideas like these sent directly to your inbox? Be sure to SUBSCRIBE.
Enjoy your day!